Environmental Leadership for Youth (ELY)
The ELY program, hosted by the OSU Fisheries and Wildlife Department, is intended to increase access and interest in the natural sciences for underrepresented high school age youth.
Summer 2021 virtual ELY program for Oregon migrant high school students!!
“Opening Doors to Environmental Careers with Oregon State University.”
July 19 – 22, 2021 9:00 – 12:00
- Introduction to watershed ecology and what makes a healthy watershed.
- Explore a variety of natural resources and environmental science programs, degrees and careers offered by OSU. Speak directly with department staff and professors.
- Meet professionals now working in the environmental science field and learn about their careers and education pathways. Many of these jobs you may have never heard of!
- Tour the fish ‘museum’ collections at OSU.
- Engaging activities to learn about your own local watershed and ecology, and start using science information right away!
- Learn all about applying for financial aid and how to get help for migrant and Latinx students and families!
Environmental Leadership for Youth (ELY) Residential Camp
The ELY Program aims to introduce youth to environmental sciences through hands-on, experiential learning on the OSU campus and at various field sites in Western Oregon. Youth learn about watershed health while gaining a college-like experience, working with and learning from OSU professors, graduate students, and professionals from partnering environmental and natural resource organizations. Field trips are both educational and adventurous, and may include rafting the Willamette, river snorkeling, hiking on Marys Peak, hiking to Cascadia Caves, and touring the Hatfield Marine Science Center and Yaquina River estuary. Learning outcomes address multiple STEM topics and Next Generation Science Standards.
The ELY Program is designed to serve underrepresented youth in 8th-12th grades in Oregon and there is no cost to participants. Youth stay in dorms on campus with authorized group leaders and the ELY Program Coordinator. The summer camp is organized by faculty from the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, OSU and Oregon Sea Grant.
Watch this great video about ELY filmed in 2018-2019 summer camps!
Questions about ELY? Email the Coordinator email@example.com